Vitamin C is an essential vitamin which means your body doesn’t produce it, you have to eat it. Now for women, the recommended intake is 75 milligrams per day and for men, it’s 90 milligrams per day.
Here we are going to discover in-depth Analysis of TOP & Best Vitamin C Rich Foods that you should eat. Typically, you will meet those requirements if you eat fruit and vegetables regularly. Here are four of the main ways that vitamin C benefits the body.
Health Benefits of Vitamin C
1. Helps avoid iron deficiency by improving iron absorption.
Iron is an important nutrient that has a variety of functions. It is important for the development of red blood cells and the distribution of oxygen across the body. Now interestingly, Vitamin C Rich Foods can help improve the absorption of iron from the diet.
Vitamin C helps to transform low-absorbing iron, such as plant-based iron sources, into a shape that is easier to absorb. This is especially useful for people on a meat-free diet as meat is one of our main sources of iron.
Now what’s interesting is if you just eat 100 milligrams of vitamin C with an iron-containing food it can increase the absorption of that iron by up to 70%. As a result, we know that vitamin C supplementation can reduce the risk of anemia and people prone to iron deficiency.
2. Fights heart disease risk factors, potentially lowering heart disease risk
Many factors increase the risk of heart disease including high blood pressure, high LDL (bad cholesterol), low levels of HDL (good cholesterol), and high triglyceride levels. Vitamin C may help reduce these factors which may reduce heart disease risk.
For example, an analysis of nine studies with a combined total of almost 300,000 participants found that after 10 years, people who took at least 700 milligrams of vitamin C every day, the risk of heart disease was 25 % lower than those who did not take vitamin C supplements.
Interestingly, another analysis of 15 studies found that consuming vitamin C only from foods, not supplements, was linked to a lower risk of heart disease. However, scientists are unsure if people who consumed vitamin C-rich foods also followed a healthier lifestyle than people who took the supplement.
So, therefore, it’s not really clear if the differences were due to vitamin C or other aspects of the diet. It seems like if you consume 500 milligrams or more per day of a vitamin C supplement it can reduce your risk of heart disease if you have those risk factors.
However, if you already eat Vitamin C Rich Foods, then it seems like it won’t make much difference.
3. Boosts immunity by helping white blood cells function better
Vitamin C is found in many areas of the immune system.
First, vitamin C helps encourage the development of white blood cells known as lymphocytes and phagocytes that help protect the body from infection.
Second, vitamin C helps these white blood cells act more efficiently while shielding them from exposure to potentially harmful molecules, such as free radicals.
Third, vitamin C is a key part of the skin’s defense system. It is actively transported to the skin where it can act as an antioxidant to help strengthen the skin’s barriers. Research has also shown that taking vitamin C can reduce wound healing time.
4. Could reduce blood uric acid levels and help prevent gout attacks
Gout is a type of painful arthritis-like really painful arthritis that affects about 4% of the US population. Gout symptoms appear when there’s too much uric acid in the blood. Uric acid is a waste product that is produced by the body. At high levels, it may crystallize and deposit in the joints.
Interestingly, some studies have shown that vitamin C can help minimize uric acid in the blood and, as a result, protect against gout attacks. For example, this study followed almost 50,000 health men over 20 years to see if vitamin C intake was linked to developing gout.
Now interestingly, people who took Vitamin C Rich Foods had a 44% lower gout risk. Additionally, an analysis of 13 clinical studies found that taking a vitamin C supplement over 30 days significantly reduced blood uric acid compared to placebo.
Although the authors did conclude that future trials are needed to determine whether vitamin C supplementation can reduce hyperuricemia which is high uric acid levels, or prevent the incident and recurrent gout.
Ultimately, vitamin C is very important for your health and the majority of us do get enough from a healthy diet. That said, if you are at risk of iron deficiency, if you have a weak immune system or if you experience recurrent gout attacks then you should definitely consider vitamin C supplementation.
Top 16 Vitamin C Rich Foods for Strong Immune System
Vitamin C acts in the body as an antioxidant. The water-soluble vitamin C also helps to sustain the health of connective tissues. The body doesn’t have the ability to create and store vitamin C on its own so, sufficient vitamin C should be acquired through foods on a regular basis to maintain the healthy functioning of the body.
Vitamin C Rich Foods Guards the body against
- prenatal health problems,
- cardiovascular disease
- eye disease and
- skin wrinkling.
Symptoms of vitamin C Deficiencies Include
- Nose bleeds
- Weakened immune system
- Dry and splitting hair
- Delayed wound healing and much more
The vitamin C can be naturally obtained from foods and they are given below:
Before starting the count-down you should know about the following:
- Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
For nutrient labeling on foods and dietary supplements, the Reference daily intake (RDI) is used. It is the amount of daily consumption of a nutrient that is deemed enough to meet the 97–98% demands of healthy people in almost every demographic. While created for the American population, it was adopted, but not uniformly, all over the world.
- Cup and Ounce Equivalent
Foods can come in various ways in a food group and are not produced equally as a cup or an ounce. Many foods are more-dense and others are airier or more water-containing. Cup equivalents and ounce equivalents reflect the quantities of food with the same nutritive quality from any food category. Furthermore, the part sizes do not always align with one or more cups.
- Oxidative damage
It is the damage caused to cells and tissues that are unable to sustain the free production of radical substances.
- Free radical
A free radical is an uncharged molecule with an unpaired electron in its outer valence shell. Free radicals fly around the body stealing electrons from other atoms in our cells and tissues in order to fill their partially empty valence shells. Oxidatively, this electron-stealing binge kills cells, proteins, and DNA, and is recognized as an underlying cause for many chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and auto-immune disease.
Vitamin C Rich Foods:
Papayas are in the #1 list of “Vitamin C Rich Foods“. Papayas are a delicate, fleshy fruit that can be used in a number of culinary ways. Papaya is rich in vitamin C and it also contains antioxidant nutrients such as:
- The B vitamins and carotenes
- Pantothenic acid and Folate and the
- Minerals like: Copper, potassium and magnesium and fiber
And the possible health benefits of papaya include:
- Papaya Decrease risk of heart disease,
- Papaya helps to control Diabetes
- Papaya may improve digestion
- Papaya improves blood glucose control in people with diabetes.
- Papaya reduces blood pressure.
- Papaya helps in Improving wound healing.
- Papaya is rich in antioxidant effects.
- Papaya helps to reduce cancer.
- Papaya may fight Inflammation.
- Papaya can protect against skin damage.
One cup of Papaya includes 144% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Highly nutritional guava is abundant in vitamin C. It is also rich in vitamin A, protein, fiber, and folate. Here are some benefits of Guava:
- Guava is an Immunity booster
- Guava lowers the risk of cancer
- Guava is a diabetes-friendly
- Guava is a heart-healthy
- Guava treats Constipation
- Guava Improves Eyesight
- Guava benefits pregnant women
- Guava Beats Toothache
- Guava is a Stress Buster
- Guava is good for your brain
- Guava Helps in weight loss
- Guava helps relieve cough and cold
- Guava has anti-aging properties
- Guava improves complexione
- Guava Improves Texture
One cup of Guava includes 628% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C. This is an amazing percentage among other Vitamin C Rich Foods.
3. Black currant
Black currant is well loaded with vitamin C. It also contains phenolic flavonoid phytochemicals called anthocyanins, which can prevent aging, cancer, and inflammation, and other neurological disorders.
Some Benefits of Black Currants:
- Black Currant Boost our cardiovascular Health.
- Black Currant improves urinary tract health.
- Black Currant helps to improve brain health.
- Black Currant fight skin problems and prevents premature Ageing
One cup of Black Currant includes 338% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Orange is a Powerhouse of vitamin C and other minerals such as thiamine, folate, and potassium.
Let’s discuss the health benefits of Orange:
- Orange Prevents from cancer fear
- Orange helps to lower cholesterol levels
- Orange helps to lower high blood pressure
- Orange has some important cardiovascular benefits
- Orange helps to treat arthritis patients
- Orange helps in proper brain development
- Orange keeps our sperm healthy
- Orange helps to prevent kidney stones
- Orange helps to maintain a healthy skin
- Orange has some serious benefits against infections
- Orange relieves constipation
- Orange helps us to maintain bone and teeth health
- Orange helps to prevent ulcers
- Orange is beneficial for eye health and protects our vision
- Orange treats seasonal cold and flu
- Orange prevents hair loss
- Orange helps in the treatment of inflammation
One cup of Orange includes 160% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Pineapple is well endowed in vitamin C. It also contains vitamin b1, vitamin b6, copper, dietary fiber folate, and pantothenic acid.
Here are some impressive health benefits of pineapple:
- Pineapple may aid in weight loss
- Pineapple helps to aid digestion
- Pineapple may help reduce cancer risk
- Pineapple may help combat inflammation
- Pineapple treats arthritis and also promote bone health
- Pineapple is beneficial to improve cardiac health
- Pineapple promotes immunity
One cup of Pineapple includes 131% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Grapes are rich in vitamin C. It also contains vitamin K, many of the B vitamins and copper.
Here are some Amazing Health Benefits of Grapes:
- Grapes are loaded with antioxidants
- Grapes are a high source of potassium
- Grapes are good for eyes
- Grapes can boost our brainpower
- Grapes are good for the knees
- Grapes have awesome anti-inflammatory properties
One cup of Grapes includes 27% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Mango contains plenty amount of vitamin C. It is also naturally enriched with minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Mangos are
Some of the health benefits of mango are:
- Mango helps in digestion
- Mango Promotes healthy Gut
- Mango helps to boost immunity
- Mango promotes eye health
- Mango helps to lower our cholesterol level
- Mango clears the skin
- Even diabetes patients could also enjoy it
- Mango aids weight loss
One cup of Mango includes 67% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C. And Mango is by far the Best among Vitamin C Rich Foods list.
Broccoli is well loaded with vitamin C. It also contains dietary fiber, vitamin b6, vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, choline, pantothenic acid, vitamin b1, and vitamin A.
Some of the benefits of broccoli include:
- Broccoli has cancer-fighting properties
- Broccoli helps draw cholesterol out of your body
- Broccoli reduces allergic reactions and inflammation
- Broccoli contains powerful antioxidants
- Broccoli contains a high level of calcium that is good for bone health
- Broccoli has anti-inflammatory properties that are great for heart health
- Broccoli contains a high amount of fiber that aids diet
- Broccoli is great for detoxification
- Broccoli glows your skin
- Broccoli prevents your eye from muscular degeneration, cataract
- Eating Broccoli regularly helps to reduce wrinkles and skin issues
One cup of broccoli includes 135% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Highly nutritious cauliflower contains vitamin C in high amounts. It also provides protein, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Some of the health benefits of cauliflower are:
- Cauliflower is rich in fiber and water that helps in digestion
- Cauliflower contains antioxidants that prevent cellular mutation in cancer.
- Cauliflower contains choline that helps to improve our memory.
- Cauliflower contains vitamin K that improve bone health.
- The high amount of fiber in cauliflower can reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems.
One cup of Cauliflower includes 77% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Strawberry is rich in vitamin C. It also contains manganese, folate, vitamin b9, and potassium.
Some best Health Benefits of Strawberry are:
- Strawberry is the prime source of vitamin C, hence boost our immunity.
- The antioxidant properties of strawberry help to maintain healthy vision.
- Regular consumption of strawberries can help with cancer prevention.
- The power of vitamin C in strawberries keeps your wrinkles at bay.
- The anti-inflammatory property of strawberry is good for our hearts.
- A high amount of potassium in strawberry helps to regulate your blood pressure.
- Consumption of strawberry aids in weight management.
One cup of Strawberry includes 149% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Lemons are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. In particular, vitamin C and folate are good sources. According to the University of Purdue, lemons are one of the most famous citrus acids that are rich in vitamin C.
Health benefits of Lemon:
- Lemon promotes hydration.
- The polyphenol antioxidants found in lemons supports weight loss.
- Excessive vitamin C found in lemon helps to improve skin quality.
- Lemon also aids in digestion and helps to prevent constipation.
- Lemon can avoid a bad breath for you.
- The citric acid present in the lemon can help you prevent kidney stones.
One cup of Lemon includes 187% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Parsleys are especially rich in antioxidant flavonoids and vitamin C that can lower your risk of oxidative stress in your body.
Some important health benefits of parsley:
- A chemical compound called apigenin in parsley helps to reduce breast cancer cell growth.
- The antioxidants present in the parsley helps to reduce the inflammation of the joints.
- Eating parsley helps to prevent lines and wrinkles.
- 10 sprigs of parsley daily can strengthen your bones.
- Parsley can be your natural breath freshener.
- An important vitamin B, Folate, in parsley can prevent the heart troubles.
- The presence of vitamin A in parsley makes it a protector of our eyes.
One cup of Parsley includes 133% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
The lychees contain several healthy minerals such as potassium, copper, vitamins, and antioxidants, as well as epicatechin and rutin. They can protect you from cardiac disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Lychee has some great health benefits such as:
- Lychee, being rich in vitamin C, boosts our immunity.
- Lychees is full of dietary fibers, that aids digestion.
- Lychees have great antiviral tendencies.
- Lychees help to improve blood circulation.
- Lychee helps maintain the fluid balance, and lower high blood pressure.
- lychee is good for our skin.
One cup of Lychee includes 226% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Kiwis are made of vitamin C and they are nutrient-dense. Currently, just a cup of kiwi provides approximately 273% of your recommended daily value. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient to improve the immune system and avoid illness.
Some essential health benefits of kiwifruit:
- Kiwi helps to treat asthma patients.
- Kiwi contains plenty of fiber, hence aids digestion.
- The high amount of vitamin C can boost our immune system.
- Kiwifruit helps to reduce blood clotting.
- Kiwifruit is good for our vision.
One cup of Kiwifruit includes 273% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
15. Sweet Red Pepper
With small calorie, extremely high amounts of vitamin C, and other antioxidants, Bell peppers make an ideal addition to a balanced diet. In one sense, You can say the best sources of Vitamin C Rich Foods is Parsleys.
These are available in different colors, such as red, yellow, orange, and green unripe.
Health benefits of red pepper:
- Red pepper supports healthy night vision.
- Red pepper can increase metabolic rate, and burn calories.
- Sweet red pepper aids in weight loss
- Red pepper helps to maintain our cholesterol level.
- Red pepper beneficial for our skin glow.
- A high amount of vitamin C helps to boost our immune system.
One cup of Sweet Red Pepper includes 317% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
16. Acerola cherry
Last but not least, we have Acerola in the List of “Vitamin C Rich Foods“. Acerola is a natural source of vitamin C which is around 50–100 times that of orange or lemon with content ranging from 1000 to 4500mg of vitamin Per 100g.
Some Benefits of Acerola Cherry:
- Acerola cherry is extremely rich in vitamin C
- Acerola cherry can prevent us from scurvy.
- Acerola cherry is very good for our vision.
- The polyphenolic anthocyanidin compounds in acerola can offer excellent antioxidant properties.
- No doubt, acerola cherry enhances your immunity.
- Acerola cherry increases the collagen production in our body
- It improves metabolism
One cup of Acerola cherry includes 2740% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of vitamin C.
Vitamin C Rich Foods for Boosting Immunity
The antiviral antibacterial agent really works to boost immunity. The one nutrient that is the best repair nutrient and the nutrient that nobody would want to live without is vitamin C
It’s very interesting, the more health problems, the more infection, the more challenge we have, the more vitamin C we need. Especially in this COVID-19 situation, you really have to care about your immunity, and to do that, you must know about How to boost your immunity?
How exactly does vitamin C Boost Immunity?
It generally enhances the production of the white blood cells and the activation of the white blood cells. It potentiates the white blood cells, which are your cells that get out there and destroy all these bacteria and all these viruses.
The white blood cells are your immune system and of course, vitamin C activates them, increases their productivity, and also protects all forms of white blood cells from oxidative damage. By its very quality is one of the greatest antioxidants that we have in the natural world.
It also nourishes the phagocytic white blood cells that are the kind of clean up cells that go in and clean up the debris. vitamin C also energizes and potentiates them.
Vitamin C Rich Foods Protects you against Viruses
As you might know, vitamin C is one of the great probably the best natural antiviral and this was discussed by Nobel laureate Linus Pauling in his famous book on vitamin C and the common cold
There is now significant research documenting how vitamin C can protect us and help us recover from colds, flu, influenza, and even from polio. Early research showed vitamin C to be effective in preventing and dealing with polio.
Vitamin C Rich Foods protects you against bacteria
Vitamin C is also a great antibacterial agent. This is when we see respiratory infections, this is when we see things like tuberculosis actually and pneumonia. Vitamin C is quite effective to aid in these situations.
Vitamin C Rich Foods Enhances your skin as a protective barrier
Finally thinking about the immune system, it’s interesting that vitamin C is transported to the skin and there in the skin, it serves as a strong antioxidant to create a stronger protective barrier.
Our skin of course is a great part of our immune system that protects from foreign invaders from the outside.
So, This is all we have got to cover-up almost everything around Vitamin C Rich Foods. If you do have some queries, questions or feedback with this article or any other article in our Site, feel free to drop the comment below.